Green Chili Chicken
I wanted to make a healthier version of green chili chicken from Andhra Restaurant in Bangalore by marinating the chicken with fresh herbs and stir frying in olive oil for extra flavor.
Whenever we go to Andhra Restaurant in Bangalore, my husband always orders green chili chicken. It is a very spicy dish, with lots of green chilies added to it. So I wanted to not only cook it at my home to surprise my husband but also make it even better with some small changes of my own! I marinated the chicken pieces with some ground paste which includes fresh herbs like coriander leaves, fresh turmeric, ginger, and shallots and then stir fry in olive oil, to give it a fresh and healthy twist! Because of fresh turmeric, it tastes awesome and it is also more flavorful. So try this green chili chicken and share your comments!
Chili chicken would be a great addition to a party menu as a starter or even you can also serve it as a side dish to sambar rice.
You may also like my other chicken recipes such as Grilled Chicken, Hyderabad Chicken Biryani, Chicken 65, Chicken Meat Balls, Spicy Chicken Steak, Tangy and Spicy Chicken Steak, Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Korma, Oven Fried Chicken, Orange Chicken, Pineapple Chicken and Butter Chicken Masala.
Furthermore, I would like to give some suggestions for making green chili chicken. Firstly, try to use boneless chicken thigh pieces in this recipe because thigh pieces are always soft and tender. But one thing, try to remove all the fat as for as possible. You can also use boneless chicken breast for this dish. Secondly, I added fresh turmeric to this recipe, because it gives an exotic aroma and flavor to your green chili chicken. If you don’t have the fresh turmeric, then add 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder as it has powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Finally, don’t overcook for a long time because it can make the chicken hard.
Green Chili Chicken 2018-01-30 04:39:36
Prep Time: 00:10
Cook Time: 00:20
Total Time: 00:30
- 500g chicken thigh pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh yogurt or curd
- 4 to 5 green chilies
- 6 shallots
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 5 garlic pods
- 1 inch fresh turmeric or 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any other oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- few curry leaves
- 3 to 4 green chillies
- Place all the ingredients given under "To Grind" in a blender and blend it until smooth.
- In a wide bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with salt, yogurt, and the ground paste, mix well until well quoted and set aside for 30 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, add fennel seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick and curry leaves, fry until they splutter.
- Then add the marinated chicken pieces and stir-fry for about 5 mins over medium heat until soft and tender.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water, mix well, cover and bring it to the boil then reduce to the simmer for another 10 mins or until the chicken pieces are cooked and the gravy becomes dry.
- Finally, garnish it with coriander leaves and green chilli. Serve hot!
By Santhi Therese
The Indian Claypot