"Unleash the Flavor of Delicious Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani with this Easy-to-Follow Recipe!
If you love savory dishes, then you should definitely try the scrumptious Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani. Although many people shy away from making this dish because they believe it to be difficult, with our simple recipe, you'll find that it's actually quite straightforward.
Say goodbye to bland biryani and hello to a perfectly seasoned dish every time! This Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani is not only simple to make but also fills your home with an irresistible aroma while it cooks. And when you finally open the pot, you'll be transported to food heaven.
Timing is key when making this dish, so make sure to follow the cooking instructions carefully. Overcooking or undercooking can result in burnt or dry chicken, so pay close attention to the time. And for an extra boost of flavor, marinate the chicken overnight for juicy, tender meat.
Bring the taste of Hyderabad to your Christmas lunch with this mouth-watering recipe. Try it today and enjoy a delicious feast!"
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani 2016-11-07 05:07:15
Hyderabadi Chicken Dum Biryani
Prep Time: 00:15
Cook Time: 00:45
Total Time: 01:00
For cooking rice:
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 10 cups of water
- 4 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp of shahi jeera or caraway seeds
- 500 gm of chicken pieces
- 1 tbsp of ginger and garlic paste
- 3 to 4 green chilies slited
- 2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 sp of coriander powder
- 1 & 1/2 tsp of garam masala or biryani masala powder
- Handful of finely chopped mint leaves (divide into 2 portions, one for marination and another for dum process)
- Handful of finely chopped coriander leaves (divide into 2 portions, one for marination and another for dum process)
- 1 cup of yogurt
- 1 & 1/2 tsp of salt
- 10 black pepper corns
- 4 cloves
- 2 one inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 black cardamom
- 3 green cardamom
- 1/2 tsp of shahi jeera or caraway seeds or cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
For frying onion:
- 5 tbsp of oil
- 2 medium sized onion sliced thinly
- 2 tsp of corn flour
To Fry Cashews:
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- 10 cashew nuts
- 20 raisins
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- dash of saffron or a pinch of yellow food colour
- Marinate the chicken pieces with the ingredients given under marination for 2 hours or keep it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear and soak it for 30 mins. and keep it aside.
- Soak a dash of saffron in 1/4 cup of hot water and keep it aside.
- Sprinkle the cornflour over sliced onions and mix well.
- Heat 5 tbsp of oil in a pan and fry onions till they turn into brown in color, divide the fried onions into 3 portions, one for marination, one for dum process and another for garnishing.
- Then pour this oil and one portion of the fried onions in the marinade, mix well until combined. Heat a tbsp of ghee, fry cashews and raisins until browned and puffed and keep it aside for further use.
How to cook Hyderabadi chicken dum biryani
- Meanwhile, bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot.
- When it boils add all the ingredients given under "For cooking rice" and the soaked rice (drain the water completely) and cook it for about 4 minutes or until it is half-done. Rice should be firm and grainy. Then drain the extra water in a colander and keep it aside.
- Transfer the marinated chicken in a heavy bottomed pan and spread it equally. Place this pan over medium heat and cook it for 5 minutes, saute well.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, spread the half-cooked rice equally over the chicken gravy, sprinkle the saffron water over the rice and spread the reserved fried onions, mint, and coriander leaves and ghee. Then cover the pan with aluminum foil or a wet cloth and close the lid, cook it for another 10 minutes (total cooking time is 15 minutes).
- While it cooks, heat an old tawa in another hot plate (big size) or burner, when it heats turn the heat to low.
- After 15 minutes, transfer the rice pan over the tawa and "dum" it for about 20 minutes. Now switch off heat, remove the pan from heat and keep it for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes open the pan, flip the rice gently. Finally, garnish it with fried onions, cashews, and raisins.
- Follow the cooking time properly, otherwise the chicken will burn or stick at the bottom of the pan, so timing is essential for making this biryani.
- By Santhi Therese
- The Indian Claypot: https://theindianclaypot.com/