It is one of the most popular breakfast recipes in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu.
Appam Recipe with step-by-step photos and video. It is one of the most popular breakfast recipes in South India, especially in Tamil Nadu. Usually, people make this appam in round shape. But nowadays, the restaurants serve the appam in flower shape. Hence, I demonstrated how to make the flower-shaped appam in this recipe. So friends, try this out and share your comments!
Important Tips For Making Perfect Appam:
Furthermore, I would like to share some tips for making the perfect appam. Firstly, in this recipe, I add Idli rice, raw rice, urad dal and fenugreek seeds only. Fenugreek seeds help the batter to ferment well and give a porous texture. But, if you want coconut and poha/aval in this same recipe, just add ¼ cup of grated coconut and poha, while grinding. Instead of flattened rice (aval/poha, you can use cooked or steamed rice.
Cooking soda gives a porous texture, if it is not porous and does not get cooked in middle, add more cooking soda. But the batter must be fermented for this to react and create holes. So make sure to ferment. Add required coconut water/plain water to the batter to dilute just before making the appam. So let the batter be a little thicker to dilute afterward. You can also add a little eno for porous texture. Eno and cooking soda are chemically similar.
If the batter is too thick, it won’t get cooked properly in the middle, so dilute the batter with coconut water or plain water for a pouring consistency. Finally, if you don’t have idli rice, you can make it with raw rice itself. Sona masoori or ponni rice works well. Drizzle some oil on the sides if you prefer. But I didn’t use any oil in this recipe. Just wipe the pan with tissue paper or cloth.
Finally, you may also like my other healthy breakfast recipes like Instant Sweet Paniyaram, Thinai Sakkarai Pongal, Healthy Breakfast Recipe, Homemade Granola Recipe, Ragi Aval Kozhukattai, Wheat Flour Sweet Appam, Ragi Paal Kozhukattai, Whole Wheat Bread Recipe, Multigrain bread recipe, Healthy Bread Pizza, Whole wheat mixed berry bread, Lemon Blueberry Bread, Raspberry bread, Peanut Butter Recipe, Ragi Roti, Homemade Strawberry Jam, Soft Chapati recipe, Ven Pongal, Steel-cut Oats Porridge, Eggless Buttermilk Pancakes, Whole wheat pancake, Aloo Gobi Paratha, Turkey Frittata, Fruit and Nut Chocolate Bars, Stuffed Palak Paneer Paratha and Whole Wheat Banana Bread.
Prep Time 15:00
Cook Time 00:30
Total Time 15:30
- 1 cup Idli rice
- 1 cup raw rice
- 1/4 cup urad dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar - optional
- coconut water as needed
- Wash Idli rice, raw rice, fenugreek seeds and urad dal two to three times and then add plenty of water and soak for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, grind the soaked rice mixture by adding enough water until you get a smooth batter.
- Transfer the Appam batter to a bowl.
- Add salt and mix well by using your hand until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to ferment for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.
- Adjust the consistency of the fermented Appam batter, by adding coconut water and baking soda to make it of pouring consistency like dosa batter or as shown in the video.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- (If you make it too watery, then the Appams will not be as soft and will not spread well.)
- Preheat the Appachatty or the Appam pan on medium high heat. Pour a ladle of batter on the Appachetty and swirl the pan as shown in the video to spread the batter.
- The batter will be thick in the center and thin on the sides.
- Cover the pan with a lid for approximately 2 minutes until it is crisped and golden brown on the sides and the centre is steamed and cooked.
- Remove from the heat and serve with sweetened coconut milk. Enjoy!
By Santhi Therese The Indian Claypot https://theindianclaypot.com/
Wash Idli rice, raw rice, fenugreek seeds and urad dal two to three times and then add plenty of water and soak for 5 hours.
After 5 hours, grind the soaked rice mixture by adding enough water until you get a smooth batter.
Transfer the Appam batter to a bowl. Add salt and mix well by using your hand until well combined.
Cover the bowl and allow it to ferment for 10 to 12 hours or overnight.
Adjust the consistency of the fermented Appam batter, by adding coconut water and baking soda to make it pouring consistency like dosa batter or as shown in the video.
Also, add sugar and mix well until well combined.You may also like my other Healthy Breakfast posts and recipes like Thinai Sakkarai Pongal /Foxtail Millet Sweet Pongal, Healthy Breakfast Recipe, Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram with Idli/Dosa Batter, Oats Chocolate Brownie Recipe, Healthy Aval/Poha/Red Rice Flakes Breakfast Recipe, Ragi Aval Sweet Kozhukattai, Ragi Paal Kozhukattai, How To Make Soft Layered Chapati, Soft and Chewy Granola Bars, Vendhaya Kali, Strawberry Apple Smoothie, Pasi Payaru Aval Pongal, Homemade Granola Recipe, Moringa Adai Dosa Recipe, Ragi Puttu, Green Gram Payasam/Kheer, Whole Wheat Bread Recipe, Kavuni Arisi Sweet, Banana Oatmeal Cookies, Homemade Peanut Butter .