Are you looking for a delicious and unique liver recipe to try? Look no further! In this blog post, we will be sharing an amazing lamb liver recipe that is packed with flavorful spices and aromatic ingredients. This recipe is not only easy to make but is also a perfect dish to include in your meal rotation. Whether you are a fan of Indian cuisine or simply looking to try something new, this liver recipe is sure to impress your taste buds. Keep reading to discover how to create this mouthwatering dish!
Mutton liver stir fry is one of my signature dishes. My elder son likes this dish very much. It is a healthy dish especially for those who need iron and minerals. The shallots and the other spices give a unique taste to this dish and even bring those who dislike liver, running straight to the dining table. From the very first bite, the spices take over your senses and before you know it, your plate is empty! So if you have never tasted this dish before, just try this out and don’t forget to share your comments!
What Is Liver Recipe?
- Liver recipe is a flavorful and aromatic dish that combines succulent lamb liver with a unique blend of Indian spices and seasoning. This recipe brings out the rich and tender texture of the liver, enhanced by the fragrant fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise.
- The combination of shallots, curry leaves, and green chili adds a depth of flavor, while the ginger garlic paste and spice powders create a vibrant and delicious meal. This liver recipe is a true celebration of Indian cuisine, showcasing the diverse and tantalizing flavors that make it so unique.
How to clean the Liver:
First, wash the liver pieces with clean water. Then add some milk (1/2 cup) and keep it aside for 10 mins. After 10 mins, drain the milk and again wash the liver. Because adding milk helps to take out the smell and bitterness of the liver.
Why You'll Love Lamb Liver Recipe?
- Succulent Texture: The lamb liver in this recipe is stir-fried to perfection, resulting in a tender and juicy texture that is simply irresistible. The spices used also add a depth of flavor, making it a delightful dish for any occasion.
- Rich in Nutrients: Liver is known to be a powerhouse of nutrients, being a great source of protein, iron, and vitamins A and B. Incorporating liver into your diet can contribute to overall health and well-being.
- Supports Healthy Liver Function: Contrary to popular belief, consuming liver in moderation can actually support and promote healthy liver function. It is packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants that are beneficial for the liver.
- Versatile and Flavorful: This recipe provides a perfect balance of flavors, with the combination of spices and herbs enhancing the natural taste of the liver. It can be enjoyed as a stand-alone dish, or paired with rice or bread for a wholesome meal.
- Easy to Prepare: With simple instructions and minimal ingredients, this lamb liver recipe is easy to prepare, making it a convenient option for a quick and nutritious meal.
- Ideal for Meat Lovers: If you are a fan of meat dishes, this lamb liver recipe is a must-try. It offers a unique and delicious way to enjoy liver, and is sure to satisfy your cravings for a hearty and savory meal.
Enjoy the rich and flavorful lamb liver dish, and savor the nutritional benefits it has to offer!
Ingredients for Liver Recipe
- Lamb Liver: The main ingredient of this recipe, the lamb liver provides a rich and unique flavor to the dish, as well as being a good source of protein and nutrients.
- Olive Oil: Used for cooking the liver and adding a subtle fruity flavor to the dish, olive oil also brings its health benefits to the recipe.
- Spices (Fennel Seeds, Cinnamon, Cloves, Star Anise, Green Cardamom): These spices add depth and complexity to the dish, with their aromatic and warm flavors enhancing the overall taste of the liver recipe.
- Shallots: Adding a slightly sweet and mild flavor to the dish, shallots also contribute to the overall texture and richness of the liver recipe.
- Curry Leaves: Known for their unique and pungent flavor, curry leaves bring a distinct taste to the dish, enhancing the overall aroma and flavor profile.
- Ginger Garlic Paste: Providing a strong and pungent flavor, the ginger garlic paste adds a bold and savory element to the liver recipe, complementing the other ingredients perfectly.
How To Make Liver Recipe?
To create a delicious liver recipe, you will need to follow a few key steps to ensure a flavorful experience.
- Start by cutting the lamb liver into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat and stir fry the liver pieces for 2 to 3 minutes until they become soft.
- Remove the liver pieces from the pan and set them aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and add fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and star anise.
- After frying the spices, add chopped onions, green chili, curry leaves, and ginger garlic paste.
- Next, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and black pepper powder, and stir fry for a few more seconds over low heat.
- Add the stir-fried liver with its juice, allow the juice to evaporate, then add salt to taste.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of water, cover, and cook for 5 minutes over high heat.
- Once the mixture becomes dry, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
By following these steps, you can create a delicious and flavorful liver recipe that is sure to impress your taste buds.
Serving Suggestions for Liver recipe
- Pair with Rice: The liver recipe pairs well with steamed white rice or fragrant basmati rice as a side dish. The rice complements the flavors of the liver and completes the meal.
- Serve with Naan: For a more indulgent meal, serve the liver dish with freshly baked naan bread. The soft and chewy naan is perfect for soaking up the flavorful gravy.
- Accompany with Vegetable Curry: Consider serving the liver with a mixed vegetable curry, such as aloo gobi or bhindi masala, to add variety and balance to the meal.
- Add a Side of Raita: A cool and refreshing raita made with yogurt, cucumbers, and mint, makes for a perfect side dish to cool down the heat of the liver dish.
- Include Pickles and Chutneys: Spicy mango pickles or tangy tamarind chutney can add a burst of flavor to the meal and complement the rich flavors of the liver dish.
- Garnish with Salad: A simple side salad of sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions, tossed in a light dressing, can provide a refreshing and crunchy contrast to the savory liver dish.
Tips for Cooking a Delicious Liver Recipe
- Preparation Duration: It's important to cut the liver into 1-inch pieces and ensure it becomes soft when stir-frying. This should take approximately 2 to 3 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Cooking Techniques: When adding spices, it's crucial to stir fry for the right amount of time to release the flavors. Be sure to cover and cook the liver for 5 minutes over high heat, allowing it to become dry.
- Importance of Garnishing: Garnishing with chopped coriander leaves gives the dish an appealing presentation and adds a fresh flavor to the final dish.
By following these practical tips, you can create a delicious liver recipe that is both visually appealing and packed with flavor.
Variations for Liver Recipe
- Vegetable Liver Stir Fry: For a meat-free version, replace the lamb liver with diced mushrooms, bell peppers, and zucchini. Follow the same cooking method and enjoy a flavorful vegetarian stir-fry.
- Spicy Liver Curry: Add a teaspoon of ground cumin and coriander for an extra kick of flavor. You can also increase the amount of red chili powder for those who love a spicier curry.
- Creamy Coconut Liver: Instead of water, add a can of coconut milk for a rich and creamy texture. This variation adds a tropical twist to the traditional liver recipe.
- Tangy Lemon Liver: Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the liver before serving for a refreshing and tangy flavor. This simple addition can elevate the dish to a new level.
- Fresh Herb Liver: Garnish the dish with freshly chopped mint or parsley for a burst of freshness and color. The herbs will add a delightful aroma and taste to the dish.
- Smoky Barbecue Liver: Add a tablespoon of your favorite barbecue sauce and a dash of liquid smoke for a delicious smoky flavor. This variation is perfect for those who enjoy a hint of smokiness in their dishes.
How to Store Liver Recipe
- Store the liver properly: After preparing the liver recipe, make sure to store it in an airtight container to maintain its freshness. This will help prevent any spoilage and preserve the flavors of the dish.
- Keep the spices in a cool, dark place: The spices used in the liver recipe such as fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise should be stored in a cool, dark place to retain their flavor and aroma. Proper storage of these spices will ensure that they remain fresh for future use in cooking.
- Refrigerate perishable ingredients: If there are any leftover perishable ingredients such as chopped shallots, curry leaves, green chili, and coriander leaves, be sure to refrigerate them promptly to prevent spoilage. Proper refrigeration will help to maintain the quality of these ingredients for later use.
- Label and date the storage containers: When storing the liver recipe and its ingredients, it is important to label the storage containers with the date of preparation. This will help you keep track of the freshness of the dish and its components.
- Use freezer for long-term storage: For long-term storage, the liver recipe can be frozen in airtight containers. This will help to preserve the dish for a longer period, allowing you to enjoy it at a later time without compromising its flavor and texture.
- Avoid over-storing the liver: It is important to avoid over-storing the liver recipe, as excessive storage can lead to the loss of flavor and texture. Try to consume the dish within a reasonable amount of time to fully enjoy its taste and quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What type of liver should I use for this recipe?
- You can use lamb liver for this recipe as it adds a rich and savory flavor to the dish. However, you can also use chicken liver as an alternative.
Can I adjust the level of spiciness in this liver recipe?
- Yes, you can adjust the spiciness by increasing or decreasing the amount of red chili powder and green chili used in the recipe. Adjust according to your spice preference.
Can I substitute any of the spices if I don't have them on hand?
- If you don't have some of the spices like star anise or fennel seeds, you can omit them and still achieve a flavorful dish. However, for the best flavor, try to use all the spices mentioned in the recipe.
How do I know when the liver is cooked perfectly?
- The liver should be cooked for about 5 minutes after adding water, until the liquid evaporates. The liver should be soft and well-coated with the spices and juices.
Can I make this liver recipe ahead of time?
- Yes, you can prepare this liver recipe ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Any tips for garnishing the liver dish?
- You can garnish the dish with some chopped coriander leaves for a fresh and vibrant flavor. This adds a pop of color to the dish and enhances the overall presentation.
You may also like my other non-veg recipes like Grilled Chicken, Hyderabad Chicken Biryani, Chicken 65, Chicken Meat Balls, Spicy Chicken Steak, Tangy and Spicy Chicken Steak, Oven Baked Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Korma, Oven Fried Chicken, Orange Chicken, Pineapple Chicken and Butter Chicken Masala Mutton Chops, Mutton Soup, Mutton Biryani and Mutton Curry.
Liver Recipe 2019-08-11 04:30:40
Serves 4 Print
Prep Time 00:10
Cook Time 00:15
Total Time 00:25
- 400 grams lamb liver
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 star anise (optional)
- 1 green cardamom
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- few curry leaves
- 1 green chilli, slitted
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/3 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/3 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Cut the liver into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
- When the oil heats, add the liver pieces and stir fry for 2 to 3 mins or until it becomes soft as shown in the picture.
- Remove the liver pieces with its juice from the pan and keep it aside.
- Now, heat the same pan with the remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
- When the oil heats, add fennel seeds and fry until spluttering.
- Then add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and star anise, fry for a second.
- Now add the chopped onion and saute until light golden brown.
- Then add green chilly, curry leaves and some salt, fry for few seconds.
- Also, add ginger garlic paste, and fry until it's raw smell disappears.
- Then add all the spice powders and stir fry for few more seconds over low heat.
- Now, add the stir fried liver with juice, give a good stir until the juice evaporates.
- Add some salt to taste and give a stir.
- Then add 1/4 cup of water, stir well, cover and cook for 5 mins over high heat.
- Once it becomes dry, switch off the heat.
- Finally, garnish it with some chopped coriander leaves.
- By Santhi Therese The Indian Claypot
Heat a pan with 1 tbsp of oil over medium-high heat.
When the oil heats, add the liver pieces,
stir fry for 2 to 3 mins or until it becomes
soft as shown in the picture.
Remove the liver pieces with its juice
from the pan and keep it aside.
Heat the same pan with the remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
When the oil heats, add fennel seeds
and fry until spluttering.
Then add cinnamon, cardamom, cloves
and star anise, fry for a second.
Add the chopped onion and saute until
light golden brown.
Then add green chilly, curry leaves
and some salt, fry for few seconds.
Also, add ginger garlic paste, and fry
until its raw smell disappears.
Then add all the spice powders and
stir fry for few more seconds over low heat.
Now, add the stir-fried liver with juice,
give a good stir until the juice evaporates.
Add some salt to taste and give a stir.
Then add 1/4 cup of water, stir well,
cover and cook for 5 mins over high heat.
Once it becomes dry, switch off the heat.
Finally, garnish it with some
chopped coriander leaves.