Bring a burst of flavor to your greens with our simple & delicious Greek Cucumber Salad and Dressing recipe! Made with just 6 pantry staples, it's tangy, healthy, & perfect for elevating salads or adding excitement to roasted chicken.
Are you looking for a light and refreshing salad to serve at your next gathering? Look no further than this Greek Cucumber Salad and Dressing Recipe! Packed with fresh vegetables, savory olives, and a zesty homemade dressing, this salad is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.
It's quick and easy to make, and the combination of flavors is simply unbeatable. Whether you're hosting a summer BBQ or just looking for a healthy side dish, this Greek Cucumber Salad is the perfect choice. So, let's dive into the recipe and learn how to make this delicious salad!
What Is Greek Cucumber Salad?
- Greek Cucumber Salad is a refreshing and flavorful dish that combines crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, tangy olives, and creamy feta cheese. The salad is then tossed in a zesty dressing made from extra virgin olive oil, white vinegar, garlic, and a blend of Mediterranean herbs and spices. The combination of fresh ingredients and savory dressing creates a light and satisfying dish that is perfect for a quick and healthy meal.
- The unique combination of ingredients in Greek Cucumber Salad provides a burst of flavors that are enhanced by the Indian spices and seasoning, making it a delicious and unique addition to any meal.
Why You'll Love Greek Cucumber Salad?
- Refreshing Texture: The combination of crisp lettuce, crunchy cucumbers, juicy cherry tomatoes, and tangy olives gives this salad a refreshing and satisfying texture that's perfect for warm weather.
- Healthy Ingredients: Packed with a variety of veggies and legumes, this salad is not only delicious but also loaded with important nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The olive oil provides healthy fats, and the feta/cheddar cheese adds a satisfying dose of protein and calcium.
- Light and Filling: This salad is light enough to enjoy as a side dish, but substantial enough to serve as a main meal. It's a great option for those looking for a healthy and filling meal that won't weigh them down.
- Versatile Flavors: The combination of garlic, oregano, and olives in the dressing adds a burst of Mediterranean flavor that complements the fresh veggies perfectly.
- Quick and Easy: With just 10 minutes of prep time, this recipe is quick and easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights or weekend gatherings.
- Perfect for Meal Prep: This salad holds up well in the refrigerator, making it a great option for meal prep. Make a batch at the beginning of the week and enjoy it for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Ingredients for Greek Cucumber Salad
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: The olive oil serves as the base of the dressing, providing a smooth and rich flavor to the salad.
- White Vinegar: The vinegar adds a tangy and acidic flavor to the dressing, balancing out the sweetness of the vegetables.
- Garlic: The minced garlic enhances the overall savory and aromatic profile of the salad, adding depth to the flavor.
- Dried Oregano: The oregano brings a herbaceous and earthy note to the dressing, complementing the freshness of the vegetables.
- Red Onion: The sliced red onion provides a sharp and pungent flavor, adding a zesty kick to the salad.
- Feta/Cheddar Cheese: The cheese contributes a creamy and salty element, bringing richness and depth to the overall taste of the salad.
How To Make Greek Cucumber Salad and Dressing?
- Creating a delicious Greek Cucumber Salad is easier than you think! Start by whisking together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. This dressing will provide the perfect combination of flavors to enhance the overall taste of the salad.
- Next, in a wide bowl, arrange the lettuce, cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, canned rajma, red onions, olives, and cheese. This step is essential as it allows for even distribution of the ingredients, ensuring that every bite is packed with flavor.
Finally, drizzle the salad with the prepared dressing and toss gently to combine all the ingredients. This step helps to evenly coat the salad with the delicious dressing, bringing everything together for a truly flavorful experience. Enjoy the refreshing and vibrant flavors of this Greek Cucumber Salad!
Serving Suggestions for Greek Cucumber Salad and Dressing:
- Pair with Grilled Chicken: This Greek Cucumber Salad makes a refreshing side dish for grilled chicken. The crisp vegetables and tangy dressing complement the savory flavors of the chicken perfectly.
- Serve with Pita Bread: For a light and balanced meal, consider serving the salad with warm pita bread. The combination of the crunchy salad and soft bread is a delightful treat for the taste buds.
- Side Dish for Fish: The zesty flavors of this salad make it an excellent accompaniment for grilled or pan-seared fish. It adds a burst of freshness to the meal and enhances the overall dining experience.
- Complete the Meal with Quinoa: For a wholesome and nutritious meal, pair the Greek Cucumber Salad with cooked quinoa. The salad's vibrancy and the nuttiness of the quinoa create a delightful contrast.
- Enjoy with Hummus and Falafel: Create a Mediterranean-inspired meal by serving the salad with hummus and falafel. The combination of flavors and textures will transport your taste buds to the streets of Greece.
- Accompany with Tzatziki: The cooling and creamy tzatziki is the perfect match for the vibrant and zesty flavors of the Greek Cucumber Salad. The two dishes complement each other and create a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
Tips for Making Greek Cucumber Salad
- Quick Preparation: This Greek cucumber salad is a quick and easy recipe to make, with a total prep time of just 10 minutes. It's perfect for a last-minute side dish for a meal or a quick and healthy snack.
- Garnishing for Presentation: The key to making this salad look as good as it tastes is in the garnishing. Take the time to arrange the lettuce, cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, canned rajma, red onions, olives, and cheese to make the salad visually appealing.
- Balancing the Dressing: When preparing the dressing, make sure to balance the flavors of the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. The dressing should enhance the fresh flavors of the vegetables without overpowering them.
- Toss Gently: When drizzling the dressing over the salad, toss the ingredients gently to ensure that the dressing evenly coats the vegetables without crushing them.
- Using Quality Ingredients: The key to a great Greek cucumber salad is the quality of the ingredients. Use extra virgin olive oil, fresh vegetables, and flavorful olives and cheese for the best results.
- Customize to Your Taste: Feel free to customize this salad recipe to your taste by adding or omitting ingredients as you wish. Whether it's adding more cheese or adjusting the level of spiciness with jalapenos, make it your own.
Variations for Greek Cucumber Salad
- Different types of vinegar: Instead of white vinegar, try using red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or apple cider vinegar for a new flavor twist.
- Additional vegetables: Experiment with adding different vegetables such as bell peppers, radishes, or even roasted red peppers for added color and crunch.
- Fresh herbs: Instead of dried oregano, try using fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or mint to elevate the flavors of the salad.
- Cheese choices: Mix it up by using feta cheese for a more traditional Greek flavor or switch it up with cheddar cheese for a different taste profile.
- Spicy kick: If you enjoy heat, add some diced jalapenos or red pepper flakes for a spicy kick to your salad.
- Protein boost: For a heartier salad, add grilled chicken, shrimp, or chickpeas for added protein and texture.
How to Store Greek Cucumber Salad
- Properly Store Fresh Produce: After preparing the salad, it's important to store the fresh ingredients separately. Keep the lettuce and cucumber in airtight containers or plastic bags to maintain their crispness. Store the cherry tomatoes, carrots, and onions in the fridge to keep them fresh.
- Store the Dressing Separately: It's best to store the homemade dressing in a sealed glass jar or airtight container in the refrigerator. This will help preserve the flavors and prevent the oil from going rancid.
- Use airtight containers: If you have leftover salad, store it in airtight containers to maintain its freshness. This will also prevent the strong smell of ingredients like onions and garlic from spreading to other foods in the fridge.
- Keep the Cheese Fresh: If using feta or cheddar cheese, store it in an airtight container or resealable bag in the refrigerator to retain its texture and flavor.
- Keep the Salad Cold: If you're taking the salad to a picnic or outdoor event, store it in a cooler with ice packs to keep it fresh and safe to eat.
- Consume Within a Few Days: For the best taste and texture, it's ideal to consume the Greek cucumber salad within 2-3 days of preparation. This will ensure that all the ingredients are at their freshest and most flavorful state.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a different type of vinegar for the dressing?
- Yes, you can use red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar as a substitute for white vinegar. It will give a slightly different flavor to the dressing, but it will still work well with the salad.
Can I add other vegetables to the salad?
- Absolutely! This recipe is very versatile, so feel free to add or substitute any vegetables you like. Bell peppers, radishes, and artichoke hearts are some great options to consider.
How can I make the salad less spicy?
- If you're not a fan of spicy food, you can simply omit the jalapenos from the recipe. You can also remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapenos to reduce their heat.
Can I make the salad in advance?
- Yes, you can prepare the salad ingredients and dressing separately, then combine them just before serving. This is a great make-ahead option for picnics or potlucks.
Is it essential to use feta or cheddar cheese?
- No, the cheese is optional, so feel free to omit it if you prefer a dairy-free version of the salad. You can also use other types of cheese like goat cheese or mozzarella.
How long will the salad last in the refrigerator?
- The salad will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container. Just be sure to toss it well before serving leftovers.
Greek Cucumber Salad and Dressing
Prep Time: 00:10
Total Time: 00:10
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste (I used 1/2 tsp)
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 2 English cucumber, diced into 1-inch thick
- 1 medium-sized carrots, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives
- 6 jalapeno
- 1/2 cup canned rajma beans
- Feta/cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- In a wide bowl, arrange the lettuce, cucumber, carrots, cherry tomatoes, jalapeno, canned rajma, red onions, olives, and cheese.
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently.
In a small bowl, add olive oil,
black pepper powder,
and minced garlic
whisk until well combined.
In a wide bowl, add lettuce,
halved cherry tomatoes,
chopped red onions,
canned rajma beans,
and cheddar/feta cheese
Drizzle with the dressing and toss gently. Serve immediately.You may also like my other Healthy Salads posts and recipes like Healthy Green Apple Salad, Strawberry Romaine Salad, Strawberry Spinach Salad, Chicken Salad Bowl Chipotle, Roast Beetroot and Feta Salad, Chicken with Dijon Mustard Sauce, Salad with Yogurt Dressing, Fruit and Nut Salad, Kosambari Recipe .