Roasted Masala peanuts are one of the popular tea time snack in Tamil Nadu. Most of the people eat this as a side dish for their lunch and it is protein rich as well. This is also very easy to cook and at the same time healthy snack too. Within 5 minutes you can also prepare this tasty crunchy and healthy snack for your kids. It is lovely to munch during rainy and winter season. It can also be served during tea time. So try it out and share your comments!
Roasted masala peanuts are one of my favorite tea time snacks from my childhood days, especially while watching tv shows. Adding fresh curry leaves while frying adds a good flavor to this roasted masala peanuts. Within few minutes you can prepare this snack, especially when there is no snack at home.
You may also like Masala Peanuts recipe.
What Is Roasted Masala Peanuts?
- Roasted Masala Peanuts are a popular and flavorful Indian snack made by roasting raw peanuts with a blend of spices and seasonings. The peanuts are typically coated in a mixture of ingredients such as red chili powder, salt, asafoetida, and sometimes additional spices. The process involves dry roasting the peanuts until they achieve a golden-brown color, resulting in a crunchy texture with a rich and spicy flavor profile.
- This snack offers a delightful combination of nuttiness from the peanuts and the aromatic and savory notes from the Indian spices. Roasted Masala Peanuts are not only a tasty treat but also a versatile snack suitable for various occasions, from casual gatherings to festive celebrations. They can be enjoyed on their own or paired with beverages, making them a popular choice for those seeking a savory and satisfying snack option.
Why You'll Love Roasted Masala Peanuts?
- Delightful Texture: The recipe ensures the peanuts are perfectly roasted, offering a satisfying crunch in every bite. The texture enhances the overall snacking experience, making it enjoyable for those who appreciate a crispy and flavorful treat.
- Mouthwatering Deliciousness: The combination of Indian spices, including red chili powder, salt, and asafoetida, creates a symphony of flavors that elevate the taste of the peanuts. The well-balanced seasoning results in a mouthwatering deliciousness that caters to both spice enthusiasts and those who prefer a more subtle flavor profile.
- Versatility for Different Occasions: Roasted Masala Peanuts are incredibly versatile, making them suitable for various occasions. Whether you're hosting a gathering, enjoying a movie night, or needing a quick snack, this recipe fits the bill. Its adaptability adds to its charm, making it a go-to option for diverse situations.
- Important Health Benefits: Beyond its delightful taste, the recipe incorporates peanuts, which are rich in nutritional benefits. Peanuts are a good source of protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients, offering a wholesome snack option. This makes Roasted Masala Peanuts not only a tasty treat but also a healthier alternative to many processed snacks.
Ingredients for Roasted Masala Peanuts
- Peanuts: The star of the recipe, peanuts provide a satisfying crunch and nutty flavor. They are a good source of protein, healthy fats, and essential nutrients.
- Olive Oil: Used for frying, olive oil adds a distinct flavor to the peanuts. It also contributes healthy monounsaturated fats, enhancing the overall nutritional profile.
- Red Chili Powder: This spice brings heat and a vibrant color to the dish. Adjust the quantity based on personal spice preferences. Red chili powder adds a kick that elevates the flavor of the roasted peanuts.
- Asafoetida: Asafoetida, also known as "hing," is a resin with a pungent aroma. In this recipe, it adds a subtle hint of umami and complements the other spices.
- Curry Leaves: Curry leaves are used for garnishing, providing a fragrant and aromatic touch to the dish. They contribute a unique flavor that enhances the overall appeal.
How To Make Roasted Masala Peanuts?
Fry Curry Leaves: Heat olive oil in a pan. Fry curry leaves until crisp, then set aside for garnishing.
Roast Peanuts: Add peanuts to the pan and stir-fry until golden brown. Use a perforated ladle to remove the roasted peanuts.
Seasoning: Sprinkle red chili powder, asafoetida, and salt over the peanuts. Mix well to ensure even coating.
Garnish: Finally, garnish with the previously fried curry leaves.
- As a Standalone Snack: Serve Roasted Masala Peanuts on their own in small bowls or as finger food during gatherings. Their crunchy texture and flavorful spice blend make them a satisfying snack that doesn't require any additional accompaniments.
- Pair with a Chilled Beverage: Elevate your snack experience by pairing Roasted Masala Peanuts with a refreshing beverage. Whether it's a cold soda, iced tea, or a fruity mocktail, the contrast of the spicy peanuts with a cool drink enhances the overall enjoyment.
- Movie Night Munchies: Make your movie nights more enjoyable by preparing a batch of Roasted Masala Peanuts. They make for a healthier alternative to traditional popcorn and bring a burst of flavor to your cinematic experience.
- Crunchy Salad Topper: Sprinkle a handful of Roasted Masala Peanuts on your favorite salads for an added crunch and a hint of spice. They can transform a simple salad into a more satisfying and flavorful dish, creating a delightful balance of textures.
- Party Platter Addition: Include Roasted Masala Peanuts as part of your party platter or snack spread. Combine them with other snacks like vegetable sticks, cheese cubes, and crackers to create a diverse and appealing assortment for your guests.
- Accompaniment to Indian Chai: In Indian culture, masala peanuts are a classic accompaniment to a hot cup of chai (tea). The spiciness of the peanuts complements the warmth of the tea, creating a delightful pairing for tea enthusiasts. Offer them during tea time for a satisfying snack.
Tips for Roasted Masala Peanuts
- Precise Preparation Duration: To achieve the ideal texture and flavor, ensure you adhere to the suggested preparation time. Over-roasting may result in overly crunchy and potentially burnt peanuts, while under-roasting might leave them lacking the desired crunch.
- Mindful Roasting Techniques: Stir-fry the peanuts over medium heat with continuous stirring to prevent uneven cooking. This technique ensures that each peanut is uniformly roasted, creating a consistent golden brown color and preventing any unpleasant burnt taste.
- Garnish with Flair: The final presentation of your Roasted Masala Peanuts is just as crucial as the cooking process. Garnish with the fried curry leaves in an artful manner, not only for visual appeal but also to infuse an additional layer of aromatic flavor to the dish.
- Customize Spice Levels: Adjust the quantity of red chili powder according to your spice preference. For those who enjoy a milder flavor, reduce the amount, or for spice enthusiasts, feel free to add a bit more. Tailoring the spice levels ensures your snack is perfectly suited to your taste buds.
- Experiment with Additional Ingredients: Don't hesitate to experiment with the recipe by incorporating additional ingredients. Consider adding a pinch of roasted cumin powder for a smoky undertone or a dash of chaat masala for a tangy twist. These creative variations can elevate the overall taste of your Roasted Masala Peanuts.
- Proper Storage Matters: Maintain the freshness and crunchiness of your peanuts by storing them in an airtight container. Avoid exposure to moisture, as it can compromise the texture. A cool, dry place is ideal for preserving the flavor and quality of your Roasted Masala Peanuts for an extended period.
Variations for Roasted Masala Peanuts
- Sweet and Spicy Fusion Enhance the flavor profile by adding a hint of sweetness to your Roasted Masala Peanuts. Sprinkle a pinch of brown sugar or honey along with the traditional spices. The combination of sweet and spicy will tantalize your taste buds.
- Garlic Lover's Dream: Infuse a savory garlic twist into your Roasted Masala Peanuts by adding garlic powder or finely minced fresh garlic during the seasoning process. The aromatic essence of garlic will elevate the overall flavor profile.
- Crunchy Coconut Bliss: Transport your taste buds to the tropics by incorporating coconut pieces into the mix. Toast the coconut pieces along with the peanuts for an added layer of nutty richness and a delightful crunch that complements the peanuts perfectly.
- Fiery Cumin and Coriander Infusion: Introduce an aromatic and earthy dimension by including ground cumin and coriander in the seasoning. These spices will not only enhance the flavor but also add depth and complexity to your Roasted Masala Peanuts.
How to Store Roasted Masala Peanuts
- Cool Completely: Allow the Roasted Masala Peanuts to cool completely before storing them. This prevents condensation inside the storage container, which could lead to sogginess.
- Use an Airtight Container: Transfer the peanuts to an airtight container. Ensure that the container is clean and dry before adding the roasted peanuts. The airtight seal helps preserve the freshness and flavor of the snack.
- Avoid Moisture: Moisture is the enemy of crunchy snacks. Make sure the container is completely dry, and consider adding a desiccant packet to absorb any excess moisture.
- Store in a Cool, Dark Place: Keep the airtight container in a cool, dark place. Exposure to sunlight and heat can affect the quality of the peanuts. A pantry or cupboard is an ideal storage spot.
- Separate Batches: If you're storing different batches with varying flavors, consider using separate containers or dividers to maintain the distinct tastes.
- Avoid Mixing Odors: Peanuts easily absorb surrounding odors. Store them away from strong-smelling foods to prevent any flavor transfer.
- Refrigeration (Optional): While not necessary, you can refrigerate the Roasted Masala Peanuts for longer shelf life. Just be cautious about condensation when taking them out, allowing them to come to room temperature before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I adjust the spiciness of the peanuts?
Absolutely! The beauty of this recipe lies in its adaptability. If you prefer a milder or spicier flavor, feel free to adjust the quantity of red chili powder to suit your taste buds. Start with a smaller amount and add more gradually until you reach your desired level of spiciness.
Can I use a different oil for frying?
Certainly! While olive oil adds a distinct flavor, you can experiment with other cooking oils like peanut oil or vegetable oil. Each oil brings its unique taste, so choosing an alternative can subtly alter the overall profile of the Roasted Masala Peanuts to match your preferences.
How long can I store Roasted Masala Peanuts?
To ensure your Roasted Masala Peanuts maintain their freshness and crunch, store them in an airtight container. When stored properly, they can be enjoyed for up to two weeks. However, be sure to check for any changes in texture or taste before consuming after an extended period.
Can I use pre-roasted peanuts for this recipe?
While the recipe is designed for raw peanuts, you can use pre-roasted peanuts if that's what you have on hand. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as pre-roasted peanuts may require less time to achieve the desired golden brown color during the stir-frying step.
Is asafoetida necessary for this recipe?
Asafoetida adds a unique and pungent flavor to the Roasted Masala Peanuts, but it's not mandatory. If you don't have asafoetida or prefer to omit it, the recipe will still be delicious. Feel free to customize the seasoning according to your preferences.
Can I use this recipe for other nuts?
Absolutely! This versatile seasoning can be applied to various nuts like almonds, cashews, or walnuts. Experiment with different nuts to create an assortment of spiced snacks tailored to your liking.
How do I prevent the peanuts from becoming too oily?
To avoid excessive oiliness, make sure you drain the roasted peanuts well after frying. You can place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil. Additionally, consider reducing the quantity of oil used in the recipe if you prefer a lighter coating.
What can I do if the peanuts are too salty?
If you find the Roasted Masala Peanuts to be too salty, you can balance the flavors by adding a handful of unsalted peanuts or simply reducing the amount of salt in the next batch. Adjusting salt levels is a personal preference, and this recipe allows for flexibility in seasoning.
Can I add other spices to customize the flavor?
Certainly! This recipe serves as a base, and you can unleash your creativity by adding other spices like cumin, coriander, or chaat masala for a personalized touch. Experimenting with different spice blends allows you to tailor the Roasted Masala Peanuts to your unique taste.
Can I serve these peanuts at room temperature?
Yes, absolutely! Roasted Masala Peanuts are delightful both warm and at room temperature. If you're preparing them in advance for a gathering or snack box, allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Roasted Masala Peanuts 2017-01-26 05:33:52
Roasted Masala Peanuts (Healthy Snacks)
Prep Time: 00:03
Cook Time: 00:07
Total Time: 00:10
- 200 grams Peanuts
- 2&1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3/4 to 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Few for garnishing Curry Leaves
- Heat a pan with olive oil, when the oil heats, fry curry leaves until crisp and remove them from the pan, keep it aside for garnishing.
- Then add peanuts and stir fry over medium heat for about 3 to 4 mins or until they turn into golden brown.
- Then by using a perforated ladle, remove them from the pan.
- Sprinkle red chili powder, asafoetida powder and salt, mix well until well coated.
- Finally, garnish with fried curry leaves.
By Santhi Therese
The Indian Claypot