Welcome to today's blog post where we will be exploring the delicious world of German apple streusel cake. This classic dessert combines a tender cake base with sweet, cinnamon-spiced apples and a crunchy streusel topping. What makes this recipe unique is the perfect balance of flavors and textures, making it a beloved treat for all occasions. So, let's dive into the details of how to make this delightful German apple streusel cake!
What Is German Apple Streusel Cake?
- German apple streusel cake is a delightful and classic dessert that combines the sweetness of green apples with a buttery crumbly streusel topping. The cake is made with a combination of all-purpose flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to create a tender and flavorful base.
- The addition of toasted walnuts adds a delightful crunch to the streusel topping, making it the perfect accompaniment to the juicy apple slices. This recipe is a wonderful blend of flavors and textures, making it a beloved treat for any occasion.
Why You'll Love German Apple Streusel Cake?
- Amazing Texture: The combination of soft, moist cake with the crunchy and crumbly streusel topping creates a delightful texture that will keep you coming back for more with every bite.
- Health Benefits: Apples are a key ingredient in this recipe, providing important nutrients and fiber. They are also a great source of antioxidants, promoting good health and well-being.
- Nutritious Walnuts: The toasted and chopped walnuts in the streusel topping add a satisfying crunch and also offer a dose of healthy fats, protein, and essential nutrients.
- Satisfying and Flavorful: This cake is not only visually appealing, but also offers a delicious blend of sweet apple slices, cinnamon, and buttery streusel, making it a perfect dessert or snack option.
- Easy to Make: With simple instructions and readily available ingredients, you can easily whip up this German apple streusel cake at home for any occasion.
- Versatile and Crowd-Pleasing: Whether it's for a casual gathering, afternoon tea, or a special celebration, this cake is sure to impress with its comforting flavors and irresistible appeal.
Ingredients for German Apple Streusel Cake
- All Purpose Flour: The main dry ingredient that provides structure to the cake.
- Baking Powder: Helps the cake to rise and gives it a light, fluffy texture.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds richness and moisture to the cake.
- Sugar: Sweetens the cake and helps to create a tender crumb.
- Egg: Binds the ingredients together and adds structure to the cake.
- Green Apples: Adds a sweet and tart flavor to the cake, as well as a soft texture.
How To Make German Apple Streusel Cake?
To make a delicious German apple streusel cake, you'll need to follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and butter and flour an 8 inch spring form pan. This step is important as it ensures that the cake doesn't stick to the pan and bakes evenly.
- Mix together the streusel topping ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs, and then refrigerate the mixture until you make the cake batter. The streusel topping adds a delicious crunch and flavor to the cake.
- Whisk together the cake batter ingredients until combined, and then spread the batter onto the bottom of your prepared pan. This provides the base for the apple slices and streusel topping.
- Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the batter, followed by spreading the streusel topping over the apple slices. This creates beautiful layers of flavor and texture in the cake.
- Bake the cake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and then let it cool slightly on a wire rack. This step is crucial to ensure the cake is perfectly baked and ready to be enjoyed.
By following these steps, you'll be able to create a mouthwatering German apple streusel cake that's perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
- Pair with a scoop of vanilla ice cream: The sweet and slightly tart flavor of the German apple streusel cake pairs perfectly with a creamy scoop of vanilla ice cream. The warm cake and cold ice cream create a delightful contrast in textures.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream: For a light and airy addition to the cake, consider serving it with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. The airy cream adds a touch of indulgence to the dessert.
- Enjoy with a cup of warm coffee: The rich flavors of the cake are accentuated by a cup of warm coffee. The combination of the warm cake and a steaming cup of coffee is the perfect way to end a meal.
Tips for Baking a Delicious German Apple Streusel Cake
- Preparation Duration: The total preparation time for this recipe is approximately 20-25 minutes, including the time to prepare the streusel topping, cake batter, and apple slices. It's important to plan and organize the process to ensure a smooth baking experience.
- Cooking Technique: When spreading the batter into the pan, use the back of a spoon to ensure an even layer, which will result in a uniform bake. Also, when arranging the apple slices on top of the batter, place them in a visually appealing pattern for an attractive presentation.
- Garnishing and Presentation: Once the cake is baked, allow it to cool slightly on a wire rack. Before serving, you can dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar for an elegant finishing touch. Additionally, serving the cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream can enhance the overall taste and presentation.
Variations for German Apple Streusel Cake
- Nutty twist: Instead of walnuts, try using almonds or pecans for a different nutty flavor in the streusel topping. You can also experiment with adding a sprinkle of shredded coconut for extra crunch.
- Fruity addition: Mix in berries such as blueberries or raspberries with the apple slices to add a burst of tangy sweetness to the cake. You can also try using pears or peaches for a unique fruity twist.
- Spiced up streusel: Add a pinch of nutmeg or ginger to the streusel mixture for a warm and spicy flavor. You can also try using brown sugar instead of white sugar for a richer taste.
- Gluten-free option: Substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend to make the cake suitable for those with gluten sensitivities.
- Vegan friendly: Use plant-based butter, milk, and egg substitutes to create a vegan version of the cake. You can also try using flax eggs or applesauce as a binding agent.
- Boozy addition: For a grown-up twist, soak the apple slices in rum or brandy before arranging them on the cake. You can also drizzle a boozy glaze over the finished cake for an extra kick of flavor.
How to Store German Apple Streusel Cake
- Storing the Cake: After the cake has cooled down, store it in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap to maintain its freshness. This will keep the cake moist and delicious for a few days.
- Keeping the Apple Slices Fresh: If you have leftover apple slices, sprinkle a little lemon juice over them to prevent browning. Store the apple slices in a sealed container in the refrigerator to use in other recipes or as a snack.
- Preserving the Streusel Toppings: If you have extra streusel toppings, store them in a zip-top bag or airtight container in the refrigerator. This will keep the toppings crunchy and ready to use for future baking endeavors.
- Protecting the Chopped Walnuts: If you have leftover chopped walnuts, store them in a sealed container in the refrigerator to maintain their freshness. This will prevent the walnuts from becoming rancid and keep them ready for your next baking project.
- Refrigerating the Butter: To keep the butter fresh, store it in a covered dish or a butter keeper in the refrigerator. This will prevent the butter from absorbing any odors from other foods and maintain its quality for future use.
- Storing the Flour and Baking Powder: Keep the remaining flour and baking powder in airtight containers in a cool, dry place, such as a pantry or cupboard. This will prevent any moisture from affecting the texture and performance of these key ingredients in your future baking endeavors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a different type of apple for the German apple streusel cake?
- Yes, you can use other types of apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for a different flavor profile, but keep in mind that the texture and sweetness may vary.
How can I make the streusel topping more crunchy?
- To make the streusel topping more crunchy, you can increase the amount of chopped nuts or add a tablespoon of oats to the mixture for extra texture.
Can I substitute the walnuts with a different type of nut?
- Yes, you can substitute walnuts with almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts based on your preference or availability.
What can I serve with the German apple streusel cake?
- The cake is delicious on its own, but you can serve it with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful dessert.
Can I make the cake in advance?
- Yes, you can make the cake in advance and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. Just warm it up in the microwave before serving.
Can I freeze the German apple streusel cake?
- Yes, you can freeze the cake for up to 2 months. Make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to maintain its freshness.
German Apple Cake Streusel 2018-04-06 06:36:10
German Apple Cake Streusel
Serving Size: 8
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 130g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (55g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- 2 green apples
For Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup (65g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 40 grams unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Butter and flour an 8 inch spring form pan.
- In a wide bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon powder, and salt, until combined.
- Cut the cold butter into the flour mixture with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the chopped nuts and mix well. Keep this mixture in the refrigerator until you make the cake batter.
- In a wide bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, with the paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat until incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture (in three additions), alternately with the milk (in two additions) and beat until just combined.
- Spread the batter onto the bottom of the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Evenly arrange the apple slices on top of the batter.
- Spread the streusel toppings over the apple slices.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly.