Elevating Flavorful Traditions: Homemade Fresh Turmeric Green Chili Chicken
A trip to an Andhra Restaurant in Bangalore ignited my culinary curiosity when my husband consistently ordered the fiery delight known as green chili chicken. The dish's explosive spiciness, heightened by an abundance of green chilies, left a lasting impression. Driven by a desire to surprise my husband and infuse a personal touch, I embarked on a journey to recreate this classic dish at home – with a twist that would not only tantalize the taste buds but also contribute to a healthier dining experience.
Allow me to introduce you to my culinary experiment that marries tradition and innovation – Fresh Turmeric Green Chili Chicken. Join me in exploring a dish that's not only flavorful but also boasts a range of health benefits. After you've given it a shot, don't forget to share your culinary escapade in the comments below!
What Is Green Chilli Chicken?
- Green chilli chicken is a flavorful and spicy Indian dish that combines succulent chicken thigh pieces with a blend of fresh green chilies, shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric, and other aromatic spices. The dish is then further enhanced with a unique tempering of fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and curry leaves, creating a delicious and aromatic meal.
- The combination of tender chicken, the heat of green chilies, and the depth of flavors from the Indian spices make green chilli chicken a popular and satisfying dish. The marinade of yogurt and the ground paste infuse the chicken with a rich and vibrant flavor, while the tempering adds a final touch of aromatic essence to the dish.
Why You'll Love Green Chilli Chicken?
- Spicy and Flavorful: The green chillies in this recipe add a kick of heat and a burst of flavor, making every bite a delight for spice lovers.
- Tender and Succulent: The marination process ensures that the chicken pieces are soft, tender, and filled with the aromatic flavors of the spices and herbs.
- Health Benefits: Green chilies are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, making this dish not only delicious but also packed with nutritional benefits.
- Low in Calories: By using yogurt and minimal oil for cooking, this dish remains relatively low in calories, making it a healthier option compared to other chicken recipes.
- Gut-Friendly: The probiotics in yogurt used for marination can promote a healthy gut and aid digestion, adding an extra health boost to the dish.
- Versatile: This green chilli chicken dish can be served as a main course with rice or roti, making it a versatile and satisfying meal option for any occasion.
Ingredients for Green Chilli Chicken
The key ingredients for making Green Chilli Chicken are as follows:
- Chicken Thigh Pieces Chicken thighs are used for their juicy and tender texture, providing a perfect base for the dish.
- Green Chillies Green chillies add a spicy kick to the dish and contribute to its vibrant green color.
- Fresh Yogurt or Curd Yogurt helps to tenderize the chicken and adds a creamy texture to the marinade.
- Shallots Shallots add a sweet and mild flavor to the dish, enhancing the overall taste.
- Fresh Ginger and Garlic Ginger and garlic add depth and aromatic flavor to the marinade, giving the dish a rich and complex taste.
- Garam Masala Powder Garam masala adds warm and earthy flavors to the dish, creating a well-rounded and balanced taste.
How To Make Green Chilli Chicken?
Green chilli chicken is a flavorful and spicy dish that can be easily prepared at home. Follow these simple steps to create a delicious green chilli chicken dish:
- Grinding the Ingredients: Start by grinding green chilies, shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric, lemon juice, garam masala powder, and fresh coriander leaves until smooth.
- Marinating the Chicken: Marinate the chicken thigh pieces with salt, yogurt, and the ground paste. Ensure the chicken is well coated with the marinade and let it sit for 30 minutes. This step is crucial as it allows the flavors to penetrate the chicken for a more delicious outcome.
- Tempering: Heat oil in a pan and add fennel seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, and curry leaves. Frying these tempering ingredients until they splutter will release their flavors and enhance the overall taste of the dish.
- Cooking the Chicken: Once the tempering is ready, add the marinated chicken pieces and stir-fry until they are soft and tender. Adding water, covering, and simmering the chicken ensures that it is cooked thoroughly and the flavors are infused into the meat.
- Garnish and Serve: Once the chicken is cooked and the gravy has reduced, garnish the dish with fresh coriander leaves and green chillies for an added pop of flavor and color. Serve the green chilli chicken hot for a delightful and spicy meal.
Following these steps will help you create a delicious and flavorful green chilli chicken dish that is sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
- Side Dish Pairing: This flavorful green chilli chicken pairs well with steamed rice or naan bread, allowing you to soak up every bit of the spicy and aromatic gravy.
- Fresh Salad: A crisp and refreshing cucumber and tomato salad with a squeeze of lemon, salt, and pepper can balance out the heat of the green chilli chicken.
- Vegetable Stir Fry: For a healthier option, consider serving the dish with a side of stir-fried vegetables like bell peppers, carrots, and green beans, seasoned with a touch of soy sauce and garlic.
- Naan Bread: Warm, fluffy naan bread is perfect for mopping up the delicious gravy of the green chilli chicken, making it a complete and satisfying meal.
- Raita: A cool and soothing side dish of homemade raita, made with yogurt, cucumber, and a sprinkle of cumin, can complement the spiciness of the chicken and balance the flavors in every bite.
Lemon Rice: The tangy and zesty flavors of lemon rice can be an excellent accompaniment to the green chilli chicken, adding a burst of freshness to the meal.
Tips for Making Green Chilli Chicken
- Preparation Time: Marinating the chicken and preparing the ground paste will take around 40 minutes, so plan accordingly.
- Cooking Techniques: When stir-frying the marinated chicken, make sure to cook it over medium heat to ensure it is soft and tender. Additionally, keep an eye on the gravy as it simmers to prevent it from becoming too dry.
- Importance of Garnishing: Garnishing with fresh coriander leaves and green chillies not only adds flavor but also enhances the visual appeal of the dish, making it more appetizing and presentable. Don't skip this step!
- Balancing Spice: Adjust the number of green chillies according to your heat preference. If you prefer it spicy, add more, and for a milder flavor, reduce the amount of green chillies in the recipe.
- Serving Suggestion: Green Chilli Chicken pairs well with steamed rice or naan bread. Consider serving it with a side of cooling cucumber raita to balance out the heat from the dish.
- Leftover Tip: If you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The flavors tend to intensify, making it even more delicious the next day. Just reheat and enjoy!
By following these tips, you can make a delicious and flavorful Green Chilli Chicken dish that is sure to impress your family and friends. Enjoy your cooking experience!
Variations for Green Chilli Chicken
- Using different types of chillies: Experiment with using different types of green chillies, such as serrano or jalapeno, to add varying levels of heat to the dish.
- Adding vegetables: To make the dish more wholesome, consider adding vegetables like bell peppers, onions, or tomatoes to the chicken while cooking to enhance the flavor and texture.
- Incorporating spices: Explore adding different spices like cumin, coriander, or paprika to the marinade or the tempering to create a new flavor profile for the green chilli chicken.
- Using different protein: Instead of chicken, you can try making this dish with paneer, tofu, or even mixed vegetables for a vegetarian variation.
- Adjusting the heat level: For those who prefer a milder version, reduce the number of green chillies or remove the seeds to tone down the spiciness.
- Experiment with cooking methods: Try grilling or baking the marinated chicken instead of stir-frying for a different texture and flavor.
How to Store Green Chilli Chicken
- Store Leftovers Properly: Green chilli chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to cool the dish completely before storing it to maintain freshness.
- Freezing Option: If you have a large batch leftover, consider freezing it in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Properly Store Fresh Ingredients: Ensure that the raw chicken, green chilies, and other fresh ingredients are stored properly in the refrigerator to maintain their freshness and flavor.
- Use Airtight Containers: When storing the ground paste or marinated chicken, use airtight containers to prevent any contamination and to keep the flavors intact.
- Reheating Tips: When reheating the green chilli chicken, make sure to reheat it thoroughly to kill any bacteria and serve it hot for the best taste and texture.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use chicken breast instead of chicken thigh for this recipe?
- Yes, you can definitely use chicken breast instead of thigh. However, keep in mind that chicken breast tends to cook faster, so adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure it is not overcooked and dry.
Can I reduce the spiciness of the dish?
- If you prefer a milder version, you can reduce the number of green chilies used in the recipe. You can also deseed the chilies before grinding them to further lower the level of spiciness.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
- Yes, you can marinate the chicken in advance and store it in the refrigerator. When you're ready to cook, simply follow the remaining steps of the recipe. This can be a time-saving option for busy days.
Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh ones?
- While fresh herbs provide a more vibrant flavor, you can use dried versions as a substitute. Keep in mind that the intensity of the flavor may differ, so adjust the quantity according to your preference.
How can I make this dish more flavorful?
- To enhance the flavor, you can add a splash of coconut milk or cream towards the end of cooking. This will give the dish a creamy and rich taste, while balancing the spiciness of the green chilies.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
- Yes, you can substitute the chicken with paneer (Indian cottage cheese) or tofu for a vegan version of the dish. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the paneer or tofu is cooked through.
Green Chilli Chicken 2018-01-30 04:39:36
Green Chilli Chicken
Serving Size: 4 people
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 500g chicken thigh pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp fresh yogurt or curd
- 4 to 5 green chilies
- 6 shallots
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 5 garlic pods
- 1 inch fresh turmeric or 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any other oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- few curry leaves
- Place all the ingredients given under "To Grind" in a blender and blend it until smooth.
- In a wide bowl, marinate the chicken pieces with salt, yogurt, and the ground paste, mix well until well coated and set aside for 30 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil, add fennel seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, and curry leaves, fry until they splutter.
- Then add the marinated chicken pieces and stir-fry for about 5 mins over medium heat until soft and tender.
- Pour 1/2 cup of water, mix well, cover and bring it to the boil then reduce to the simmer for another 10 mins or until the chicken pieces are cooked and the gravy becomes dry.
- Finally, garnish it with coriander leaves and green chilli. Serve hot!
- By Santhi Therese
The Indian Claypot