Pallipalayam Chicken recipe with step-by-step photos. It is an easy and delicious dish made with chicken, shallots, garlic, dry chilies, and coconut added to the dish as small bits. There are not many masalas involved in this recipe. But nowadays people add a lot of masalas and called it Pallipalayam Chicken. But in the traditional recipe, there are no masalas involved. Each of its bites, you feel the Crunchiness of the coconut pieces and the smoky and flavourful chicken. Stick around to learn how to create this mouthwatering dish in your own kitchen.
What Is Pallipalayam Chicken?
- Pallipalayam Chicken is a traditional Indian dish that is known for its succulent chicken pieces combined with a unique blend of Indian spices and seasoning. This dish is packed with flavors that are derived from a combination of turmeric, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, shallots, dry chillies, garlic, and ginger.
- The use of coconut oil or sesame oil adds a distinct nutty flavor to the dish, while the addition of chopped coconut provides a subtle sweetness to the overall taste. The result is a dish that is rich in aroma, color, and taste, making it a unique and delightful addition to any meal.
Why You'll Love Pallipalayam Chicken?
- Unique Texture: Pallipalayam Chicken is known for its delicious texture, with the chicken pieces fully roasted and coated with the flavorful masalas. The dish offers a perfect combination of tenderness and crispiness, making it a treat for your taste buds.
- Rich in Spices: The dish is packed with a variety of spices like turmeric, mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves, which not only enhance the flavor but also contribute to the health benefits of the dish.
- Healthy Ingredients: With the use of coconut oil or sesame oil and the abundance of garlic and ginger, Pallipalayam Chicken is not only flavorful but also offers various health benefits such as anti-inflammatory properties and digestive support.
- Protein-Packed: The star ingredient of this dish, chicken, is a great source of lean protein, essential for muscle growth, repair, and overall health.
- Low Carb Option: If you're following a low-carb diet, Pallipalayam Chicken is an excellent choice as it is low in carbohydrates but high in protein and healthy fats.
- Gluten-Free: For those with gluten sensitivity or Celiac disease, this dish is a safe and delicious option as it is free from any gluten-containing ingredients.
Ingredients for Pallipalayam Chicken
- Chicken: The main protein in the dish, adds texture and flavor to the dish.
- Turmeric: Adds a vibrant color to the dish and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Salt: Enhances the overall taste of the dish.
- Coconut oil or sesame oil: Adds a distinct nutty flavor to the dish.
- Mustard seeds and urad dal: Provides a unique aroma and flavor to the dish.
- Curry leaves: Imparts a subtle earthy flavor and aroma to the dish.
How To Make Pallipalayam Chicken?
Pallipalayam chicken is a delicious South Indian dish that is packed with flavor. Follow these simple steps to create this flavorful dish:
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder and let it sit for a few minutes. This step is important as it helps to enhance the flavor of the chicken.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds and urad dal. Frying them until they splutter will release the aroma and flavor of the spices.
- Next, add curry leaves and fry until they become crispy. Curry leaves add a distinct flavor to the dish and are essential for an authentic taste.
- Add dried red chilies and shallots, frying them until the onions turn brown. The caramelized onions add a rich flavor to the dish.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic, frying until a fragrant aroma comes through. This step is crucial for infusing the dish with the aromatic flavors of ginger and garlic.
- Incorporate chopped coconut and fry for a few seconds. The coconut adds a nutty flavor and texture to the dish.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook over high heat without a lid. This step helps to seal in the flavors and ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle some water and salt to taste, mixing well. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken pieces are fully roasted and the masalas are coated to the chicken pieces.
- Finally, garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with rice. The garnish of curry leaves adds a fresh aroma to the dish.
By following these steps and paying attention to the key elements of the recipe, you can create a delicious and flavorful pallipalayam chicken dish that is sure to impress.
- Rice: Pallipalayam Chicken pairs exceptionally well with steamed rice. The flavorful and spicy chicken curry complements the simplicity of the rice, making it a perfect accompaniment.
- Roti or Naan: For a heartier option, consider serving Pallipalayam Chicken with roti or naan. The soft, fluffy texture of the bread contrasts with the bold flavors of the chicken, creating a delightful combination.
- Cucumber Raita: To balance out the spiciness of the chicken, serve it with a cooling cucumber raita. The refreshing and creamy raita helps to mellow down the heat of the dish, creating a well-rounded meal.
- Lemon Rice: Another great side to serve with Pallipalayam Chicken is lemon rice. The tangy and zesty flavors of the rice complement the robust taste of the chicken, creating a delightful burst of flavors.
- Vegetable Korma: For a vegetarian option, consider pairing the Pallipalayam Chicken with a flavorful vegetable korma. The creamy and aromatic korma adds a nice contrast to the spicy chicken, offering a well-balanced meal.
- Mango Lassi: Complete the meal with a refreshing mango lassi. The sweet and creamy yogurt-based drink provides a refreshing and soothing finish to the spicy Pallipalayam Chicken.
Tips for Making Pallipalayam Chicken
- Preparation Time: To make delicious Pallipalayam Chicken, it's important to marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder. This step should not be rushed as it ensures the flavors are well absorbed by the chicken.
- Cooking Techniques: When frying the ingredients like mustard seeds, urad dal, and shallots, make sure to fry them until they are brown and crispy. This enhances the overall taste and texture of the dish.
- Importance of Garnishing: Garnishing with fresh curry leaves not only adds to the presentation of the dish but also enhances the flavor and aroma of the Pallipalayam Chicken. It's a small but important detail that should not be overlooked.
- Adjusting Spice Levels: The dish will naturally look red due to the use of dried red chilies. If you prefer a milder spice level, adjust the amount of red chilies used accordingly.
- Cooking Time: While the total cooking time for Pallipalayam Chicken is approximately 50 minutes, it's essential to allow the chicken pieces to cook for the full 20-25 minutes over low heat. This ensures that the masalas are fully coated and the chicken is well-roasted.
- Serving: Pallipalayam Chicken pairs well with rice and is best served hot. The flavors are best enjoyed immediately after cooking, so be sure to serve it fresh from the pot.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious and authentic Pallipalayam Chicken dish that will impress your family and friends. Enjoy your culinary adventure in the Indian Claypot!
Variations for Pallipalayam Chicken
- Spice Level: Experiment with the spice level by adjusting the amount of dried red chilies to suit your taste. You can also add fresh green chilies for a different flavor profile.
- Vegetarian Option: For a vegetarian version, substitute the chicken with paneer or tofu. Adjust the cooking time accordingly and the result will be a delicious vegetarian alternative.
- Coconut Variation: Instead of using chopped coconut, try using coconut milk for a creamier texture. This will add a different dimension to the dish and enhance the overall flavor.
- Protein Swap: Switch up the protein by using shrimp or fish for a seafood twist on the classic Pallipalayam Chicken. The cooking time may vary, so keep an eye on it while cooking.
- Herb Infusion: Add fresh herbs like coriander or mint to the dish for an aromatic twist. This will bring a refreshing flavor to the Pallipalayam Chicken and elevate the dish to a whole new level.
- Nutty Addition: Sprinkle some roasted peanuts or cashews on top for an added crunch and nutty flavor. This will add a textural contrast to the dish and make it even more interesting.
How to Store Pallipalayam Chicken
- Refrigeration is key: After preparing your Pallipalayam Chicken, it's important to store it in an airtight container and refrigerate it to maintain its freshness.
- Use the right container: Store the Pallipalayam Chicken in a container that is large enough to accommodate the dish without overcrowding it, and make sure the lid fits securely to prevent any air from getting in.
- Consume within a few days: To ensure optimal taste and quality, it's best to consume the Pallipalayam Chicken within 3-4 days of cooking. After this time, the dish may start to lose its flavor and become less enjoyable.
- Keep an eye on the spices: The key ingredients like dried red chillies, turmeric, and curry leaves should also be stored in airtight containers away from heat and sunlight to maintain their freshness and flavor.
- Avoid freezing: Since Pallipalayam Chicken is best enjoyed fresh, it's not recommended to freeze it as it may alter the texture and taste of the dish.
- Reheating with care: When reheating leftover Pallipalayam Chicken, make sure to do so thoroughly and evenly to ensure it's safe to consume.
By following these simple storage tricks, you can ensure that your Pallipalayam Chicken stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use vegetable oil instead of coconut or sesame oil?
- Yes, you can use vegetable oil as a substitute for coconut or sesame oil. However, keep in mind that the type of oil you use can affect the overall flavor of the dish.
How can I adjust the spiciness of the Pallipalayam chicken?
- To adjust the spiciness of the dish, you can reduce the number of dried red chillies used in the recipe. You can also remove the seeds from the chillies to decrease the heat level.
What can I serve with Pallipalayam chicken?
- Pallipalayam chicken pairs well with steamed rice or Indian breads such as roti or naan. You can also serve it with a side of raita or a simple salad.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
- Yes, you can prepare the Pallipalayam chicken ahead of time and reheat it before serving. The flavors tend to develop even more if the dish is made a day in advance.
How long should I marinate the chicken for?
- You can marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat. For a more intense flavor, you can marinate it for up to 2 hours.
How do I store leftovers?
- If you have any leftovers, allow the dish to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. You can store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When reheating, add a little bit of water to prevent the dish from becoming too dry.
Pallipalayam Chicken 2021-03-04 04:56:50
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 450 grams Chicken
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- To Taste Salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil or sesame oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds and urad dal
- 2 Springs Curry Leaves
- 200 gm Shallots
- 15, deseeded Dry Chillies
- 15 No’s Garlic
- a small piece Ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped coconut
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder and keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, when the oil heats, add mustard and urad dal and fry until spluttering.
- Add curry leaves and fry until crispy.
- Add dried red chillies and then add shallots, fry till onions turn brown.
- Add crushed ginger and garlic, fry until a nice aroma comes.
- Add chopped coconut and fry for few seconds.
- Add marinated chicken pieces, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder if needed, mix well and cook for 5 minutes over high heat without a lid.
- Sprinkle some water and salt to taste and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 20 to 25 mins over low heat until the chicken pieces are fully roasted and the masalas are coated to the chicken pieces and the oil separates from the dish.
- Garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with rice.
- Please note that the dish will look red because of the red chillies used which makes this dish taste unique.
By Santhi Therese The Indian Claypot
Marinate the chicken pieces with salt and turmeric powder
and keep them aside.
Meanwhile, heat a pan with oil, when the oil heats, add mustard and urad dal
and fry until spluttering.
Then add curry leaves and fry until crispy.
Also, add dried red chilies
and then add shallots, fry till onions turn brown.
Then add crushed ginger and garlic, fry until a nice aroma comes.
Then add chopped coconut and fry for few seconds.
Further, add marinated chicken pieces, add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder if needed)
mix well and cook for 5 minutes over high heat without a lid.
Sprinkle some water and salt to taste and mix well.
Cover and cook for 20 to 25 mins over low heat until the chicken pieces
are fully roasted and the masala are coated to the chicken pieces
and the oil separates from the dish.
Finally, garnish with curry leaves and serve hot with rice.You may also like my other Chicken Recipes posts and recipes like Chicken Chukka / Chicken Varuval, Chicken Strips, Schezwan Chicken, Easy Chicken Penne Pasta Recipe, Chicken Schezwan Noodles, Chicken Curry Recipe, Chicken Fajitas Wraps, Methi Chicken, Chicken Meatball Curry, Chicken Salad Bowl Chipotle, Green Chilli Chicken, Recipe for Italian Chicken Cutlets, Chicken Hakka Noodles, Pineapple Chicken, Butter Chicken, Creamy Chicken Alfredo Pasta, Tacos with Mango Salsa, Sweet Corn Chicken Soup, Grilled Chicken Burger, Chicken Talumein Soup .